Saturday, March 3, 2012

How Baby Redditt got his name

We had been going back and forth between three names since we found out we were having a boy.  Had Baby Redditt been a girl, we had a name locked and loaded ready to go.  But alas, God decided that our first child would be a bouncing baby boy!  We wanted a name that would not be too crazy, but also one that wouldn't limit him in life.  Choosing a name for another human being is really hard!!  So much pressure to pick a name that sounds good now and also when he's older, and also a name that people can pronounce without much difficulty.  He's already going to have to spell his last name, so we didn't want him to have to spell both.  We also wanted at least one of his names to be a family name, but I think giving him a first name that was unique to him was also top of our list.  We narrowed the list of three down to two - Josiah Fox or Samuel Fox.  We love Fox, and since it is a family name from Ben's side we decided to use it as the middle name.  Then we were left with the connundrum of what Baby Redditt's first name should be!  We really liked both names because of their meaning:  Josiah means 'God has healed', and Samuel means 'asked of God, heard by God'.  Both of these meanings have tremendous weight in our lives, so it was hard to choose!  Ben kept leaning more toward Josiah, but for some reason I kept thinking of this baby inside my body as little Samuel.  We prayed and prayed for God's will in whether or not we would be able to have a child, and I just felt (and still feel) like the meaning of Samuel speaks to what God has chosen to do for us.  We prayed to God, and He heard us.  Ultimately, here is how we decided:   I was at home for day 2 of a nasty stomach virus.  I was around 25 weeks pregnant at the time and that silly virus just hit me out of NOWHERE.  I guess I should feel blessed that it was the first time this whole pregnancy that I lost my dinner, but that was kind of hard to think about during the middle of the sickness.  It was BAD.  Ben was checking on me and texting me while he was at work.  We somehow got on the subject of the baby's name (we have called him Peanut since the very beginning, and decided that we probably should actually call him by a name instead of Peanut at this point).  In his texts, Ben pretty much told me he thought I should get final say on Peanut's first name since I am carrying him and all.  I thought that was a good compromise :) but was almost afraid to make the decision to name him.  What if Ben really wished I had chosen the other name?  I decided to go with my heart and so Peanut got named via text message:  Samuel Fox Redditt!  I can't wait to meet our little Samuel and watch him live out the path that God has for his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment